Grilled Bruschetta with shaved parmesan, arugala, grilled asparagus and poached egg
It's summer. It's hot. We needed an excuse to open Sauvignon Blanc, so Mrs suggested with fire up the grill and try something new with Bruschetta. I wanted to get really geeky and go with a Fumé Blanc style wine aka "smoky" Sauvignon Blanc from a touch of oak like the Mondavi Fumé Blanc or a Pouilly Fume. After all we were going to be grilling the bread and giving it a touch of smoke.
But we were fresh out, so we opened a few other wines to see what was the best pairing (which was half the fun).
- French Bread - sliced about 1
- extra virgin olive oil - 3 TBSP
- arugula - 1/4 cup
- vinegar - champagne, white wine, white balsamic
- shaved parmesan -
- asparagus - 1-2 spears
- salt and pepper -
- egg - poached
- lemon - 1
- parsley - 1 bunch, chopped
- garlic - 3 cloves, minced
To prep the bread:
1. Slice French bread about an inch thick at an angle.
2. Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil. Preheat grill to medium.
3. Grill both sides of the bread until grill marks appear on both sides then remove from grill.
1. In a small bowl make the Gremolata by mixing together garlic, parsley, lemon zest from one lemon.
2. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper over asparagus then grill over medium heat for about 7 minutes turning frequently.
3. Poach egg in a saucepan until center of yolk is semi solid and egg white is solid.
4. While egg is poaching, in a small bowl toss arugula with juice from lemon and 1 TBSP olive oil.
5. Assemble on a small plate by stacking asparagus (cut in half), arugula, poached egg, zest mixture and shaved parmesan on top of the grilled bread. Drizzle with a little truffle oil.
6. Enjoy a cigarette because this is pretty orgasmic.